Below is my unscientific picks for some of my favorite music releases from 2015 (in alphabetical order).
- Advance Base Nephew in the Wild, song pick: Christmas in Milwaukee
- Supermoon Oh Supermoon, Vol. 1, song pick: Sarah
- Alabama Shakes Sound & Color, song pick: Dunes
- Moses Sumney Mid-City Island, song pick: Everlasting Sigh
- Boots Aquaria, song pick: I Run Roulette
- Father John Misty I Love You, Honeybear, song pick: The Ideal Husband
- Courtney Barnett Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit, song pick: An Illustration Of Loneliness (Sleepless In NY)
- EL VY Return to the Moon, song pick: I’m The Man To Be
- The Minus 5 Dungeon Gold’s, song pick: My Generation
- Pfarmers Gunnera, song pick: The Ol’ River Gang
- Laurie Anderson Heart of a Dog, song pick: The Release of Love
- Sufjan Stevens Carrie & Lowell, song pick: Should Have Known Better
- John Grant Grey Tickles, Black Pressure, song pick: Snug Slacks
- Daniel Bachman River, song pick: Song For The Setting Sun II
- The Mountain Goats Beat The Champ, song pick: Southwestern Territory
- Taylor Batton Taylor Batton, song pick: Until Summer
- Father John Misty 1989, song pick: Welcome to New York
Quick quiz: which of these song covers actually exists?
- A. Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) playing Bill Murray’s lounge singer version of the “Star Wars” theme,
- A 6’8″ clown singing a Vaudeville version of Tears for Fears’ “Mad World”, or
- A mariachi band that specializes in the songs of Morrisey?
Answer: They are all true. Enjoy.
I am slowly posting a few videos I made in South by Southwest this year.
First up are the Haden Triplets performing “Single Girl, Married Girl” at the famous honky-tonk, The Broken Spoke.
Also, performing Bill Monroe’s “Memories of Mother & Dad” a little later in the afternoon at the Third Man Records showcase in an empty warehouse.
I know the second a commit to write a list I immediately want to change it but sometimes you just have to let these things go.
I’ve included a video from one of the songs from each release because… that’s what we do now. A picture of the album cover just isn’t enough, is it?
(Hmmm. Maybe not so coincidentally, I saw all of these artists perform live during 2012.)
10. Willis Earl Beal – Acousmatic Sorcery
9. Damien Jurado – Maraqopa
8. The Mountain Goats – Transcendental Youth
7. David Byrne & St. Vincent – Love This Giant
6. The Twilight Sad – No One Can Ever Know
5. Shearwater – Animal Joy
4. Alabama Shakes – Boys & Girls
3. Menomena – Moms
2. Father John Misty – Fear Fun
1. Sharon Van Etten – Tramp
(This last video is somewhat NSFW.)
Max: Oh, yes, I’m a big music lover. Would you believe that I once listened to three weeks of Beethoven? Would you believe it? Three weeks!
Villain: I find that quite hard to believe.
Max: Would you believe (thinks a while) two weeks of Bach?
Villain: I don’t think so.
Max: Would you believe… one hour of Looney Tunes?
I’m a little late putting up this video from SXSW back in March of this year. I just bought the current release from EXITMUSIC and remembered that I never posted the video from this awesome and personal performance. So here goes.
Josh Tillman, aka Father John Misty dealing with a birthday-celebrating patron of the arts.
FJM performing “Everyman Needs a Companion” after wrapping up some loose ends regarding what would happen if the people at the show were trapped an forced to eat one another (he thinks we would go first).
And finally, a favorite with a nice little noise/jam near the end, “Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings.”
Recorded at the Rock & Roll Hotel on May 20, 2012.